Week 6 Lab: More TED Talk Videos

A New Theory of Human Intelligence by Scott Barry Kaufman really hit home for me. Dr. Kaufman discusses the system that is in place that measures our intelligence. Tests such as IQ test do such things. However, due to these measurements it allows for some people to "slip through the cracks." He brings up his own experiences such as how he was diagnosed with a learning disability called central auditory processing disorder. He was held back and placed in special education. It was a teacher who saw his potential and inspired him to do more than what society labeled him to be. Therefore, when it was time for him to go to college he applied to Carnegie Mellon University. He wanted to research a new theory of human intelligence. He was rejected. His SAT scores were too low. However, Dr. Kaufman found another way to get into Carnegie Mellon University. He joined through the opera department. He was able to change his major later to psychology. He graduated and got his degree. He continued his education in Yale University where he did a dissertation on a new theory of human intelligence.



From before I was born, I was to be not "smart". The doctors told my parents that I could potentially be born with Down Syndrome. Therefore I could have a mild to moderate intellectual disability. However when the time came for me to be born, they found that I was normal. Even later in my life, first grade, I was threatened in being held back. However, my teacher saw potential in me. She asked my parents to drop me off school an hour earlier so that she could tutor me. From both of our efforts, I was able to pass first grade. From then on, I continued my academic success. I got straight A's. I got accepted in the SEARCH program, a gifted elementary program, in elementary school. My life was also evaluated by test scores such as ACT when I applied to college. Although I scored "above average", it was difficult for me to not be at the top no matter how I tried. It was difficult to not have scores of intelligence to define you. Now, I am at OU studying biology pre-med in hopes of becoming a doctor. My intelligence will be tested again and again on the path of becoming a doctor. Like Dr.Kaufman, I will persevere.


(Picture of the Brain Pixabay)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction to the Life of JoJo..Future Doctor, Dog Lover, and Adventurer

Week 2 Story: Desperate Times